- - - - -

Reprogram Estima remote

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 skybooks

• 84 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

Hi all, I don't know whether this is common knowledge, but it might come in useful for someone if your original key stops working eg battery failure etc. or you can source a compatible fob. I have found the instructions to put the Estima 2000 (it also supposed to work on many other Toyota models) into programming mode. I managed to get to the last stage, but I dont have a remote to program. All we need now are blanks or compatible fobs. Anyone? I did the following sequence and it worked: 1. Start with the key out of the ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and drivers door is unlocked. 2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds. A. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out. B. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out. 3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Close then open the drivers door. B. Close then open the drivers door. C. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out. 4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Close then open the drivers door. B. Close then open the drivers door. C. Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition. D. Close the drivers door. E. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF. F. Remove the key from the ignition. 5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point. 6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remtoe simutaneously for 1.5 seconds. B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the remote was not accepted. C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote. 7. Open drivers door. Hope this helps someone....
  • octo0072000, markpth and Unliclefreepe like this

#2 msu

• 44 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

Hi all,

I don't know whether this is common knowledge, but it might come in useful for someone if your original key stops working eg battery failure etc. or you can source a compatible fob.

I have found the instructions to put the Estima 2000 (it also supposed to work on many other Toyota models) into programming mode. I managed to get to the last stage, but I dont have a remote to program. All we need now are blanks or compatible fobs. Anyone?

I did the following sequence and it worked:

1. Start with the key out of the ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and
drivers door is unlocked.

2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds.
A. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.
B. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
C. Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition.
D. Close the drivers door.
E. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
F. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically
indicating successful entry into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remtoe simutaneously for 1.5 seconds.
B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons,
Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door
locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If
the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the remote was
not accepted.
C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.

7. Open drivers door.

Hope this helps someone....

I will appreciate clarification on the following points:

Is it necessary to use correct key blade fitted to FOB? Or we can simply use separate key and FOB (possibly with a different blade!)

In step 6A it says 1.5 second. How critical is that? 1.5 second is very difficult to measure.

In step 6B should we release the lock button after 2 seconds and wait for another three seconds or so for doors to lock and unlock or keep the lock button depressed?

Thanks.

Edited by msu, 13 October 2009 - 06:13 PM.

#3 Nelson

• 2051 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

i know with the peugeots you could take the blade from one fob and transfer it to the other remote fob just a case of unscrewing a screw or cracking open the fob and locating the key on the fob and put back together...... but i could never get them to re-program:doh:
42 the ultimate answer to the ultimate question

A basic look at MOT checks

#4 skybooks

• 84 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

I will appreciate clarification on the following points:

Is it necessary to use correct key blade fitted to FOB? Or we can simply use separate key and FOB (possibly with a different blade!) Fob is not connected to the blade, just a convenience - so you could just unscrew the fob and remove the blade which will leave you with a fob.

In step 6A it says 1.5 second. How critical is that? 1.5 second is very difficult to measure. It sounds alot harder than it really is. Just experiment. If you manage to get to that stage with the car entering programming mode - lock unlock by itself - the rest should be easy.

In step 6B should we release the lock button after 2 seconds and wait for another three seconds or so for doors to lock and unlock or keep the lock button depressed?
It says to release. If things dont work you could try and keep pressed.

The main obstacle would be obtaining a fob. The UK spec Previa have a different two button fob because they have the immobiliser chip built in. If you have any success please post back.

Hope this helps.
  • E5TMA likes this

#5 skybooks

• 84 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:08 PM

For older/other models these might work:
Procedure
1. The vehicle should be in the following condition:
A. The key is NOT inserted in the ignition.
B. The driver's door is open.
C. The driver’s door is UNLOCKED.
2. Insert the key into the ignition switch and then pull it out.
3. Press the Master Door Lock Switch (this would be the switch IN the car) 5 times from Lock to Unlock.
4. Close the Driver's door then open it.
5. Repeat step 3.
6. Now select the mode by inserting the key into the ignition switch and turning it to the Run or On position. The programming mode is determined by the amount of times you go from key off to the key on position and back before pulling the key out.
A. 1 time is the Add mode. This is used only on some models and it allows you to add a remote to the already existing remotes. The ECU confirms this by locking and unlocking the door locks automatically after you remove the key.
B. 2 times is the Erase mode which will erase all previously programmed remotes and allow you to program new ones. The ECU confirms this mode by locking and unlocking the door locks twice after you remove the key
C. 3 times is the third mode which tells you how many remotes are already programmed to the ECU. It confirms this locking and unlocking the doorlocks the amount of times applicable to the remotes coded. If no remotes are programmed then the ECU locks and unlocks the door locks 5 times. The ECU will hold up to 4 remotes at any one time.
7. Press the Lock and Unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1.5 sec and then press either button by itself for 1 sec.
8. The ECU will perform the Lock/Unlock automatically to confirm that the 1st remote is stored by the ECU. Repeat step 7 immediately with another remote and continue until all remotes are registered.
9. Shut the driver’s door and try all remotes.

FOR 2002+
Procedure
1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2. Insert master key into the ignition cylinder.
3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from ON to OFF 5 times.
4. Open and close the driver side door 6 times.
5. Remove the master key and insert the new duplicate key.
6. DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON
7. The new key will be registered after 60 seconds.

Credits to: eBay.co.uk Guides - Toyota Key Keyfob Programming Reprogramming

#6 msu

• 44 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:39 PM

For older/other models these might work:
Procedure
1. The vehicle should be in the following condition:
A. The key is NOT inserted in the ignition.
B. The driver's door is open.
C. The driver’s door is UNLOCKED.
2. Insert the key into the ignition switch and then pull it out.
3. Press the Master Door Lock Switch (this would be the switch IN the car) 5 times from Lock to Unlock.
4. Close the Driver's door then open it.
5. Repeat step 3.
6. Now select the mode by inserting the key into the ignition switch and turning it to the Run or On position. The programming mode is determined by the amount of times you go from key off to the key on position and back before pulling the key out.
A. 1 time is the Add mode. This is used only on some models and it allows you to add a remote to the already existing remotes. The ECU confirms this by locking and unlocking the door locks automatically after you remove the key.
B. 2 times is the Erase mode which will erase all previously programmed remotes and allow you to program new ones. The ECU confirms this mode by locking and unlocking the door locks twice after you remove the key
C. 3 times is the third mode which tells you how many remotes are already programmed to the ECU. It confirms this locking and unlocking the doorlocks the amount of times applicable to the remotes coded. If no remotes are programmed then the ECU locks and unlocks the door locks 5 times. The ECU will hold up to 4 remotes at any one time.
7. Press the Lock and Unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1.5 sec and then press either button by itself for 1 sec.
8. The ECU will perform the Lock/Unlock automatically to confirm that the 1st remote is stored by the ECU. Repeat step 7 immediately with another remote and continue until all remotes are registered.
9. Shut the driver’s door and try all remotes.

FOR 2002+
Procedure
1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2. Insert master key into the ignition cylinder.
3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from ON to OFF 5 times.
4. Open and close the driver side door 6 times.
5. Remove the master key and insert the new duplicate key.
6. DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON
7. The new key will be registered after 60 seconds.

Credits to: eBay.co.uk Guides - Toyota Key Keyfob Programming Reprogramming

Hi skybooks,

Thanks for your posts. I tried first of the above two methods and the one you posted earlier but unfortunately none of them took my Lucida (new shape 1997 CXR-20) into programming mode.

I tried both ways i.e. drivers door unlocked (and other as well) and the drivers door unlocked (with other locked) but no difference.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks.

#7 skybooks

• 84 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:52 PM

Hi skybooks,

Thanks for your posts. I tried first of the above two methods and the one you posted earlier but unfortunately none of them took my Lucida (new shape 1997 CXR-20) into programming mode.

I tried both ways i.e. drivers door unlocked (and other as well) and the drivers door unlocked (with other locked) but no difference.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks.

I tried it on my new shape Estima and it worked. The original posting of these instructions were not for my specific model. I did a search for reprogram Toyota 2000 - or something to that effect. It seems that the reprogramming technique is for a wide number of models of any given time. Google is your friend. Look for toyota reprogram * where star is a model which was current when yours was. This can include US models. Sorry cannot be of more help. Good luck and let us know if you get it to work.

Also, try the methods a few times. I have experienced in the past where a certain method wouldnt work and just before I was giving up it worked...

#8 msu

• 44 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:28 PM

I tried it on my new shape Estima and it worked. The original posting of these instructions were not for my specific model. I did a search for reprogram Toyota 2000 - or something to that effect. It seems that the reprogramming technique is for a wide number of models of any given time. Google is your friend. Look for toyota reprogram * where star is a model which was current when yours was. This can include US models. Sorry cannot be of more help. Good luck and let us know if you get it to work.

Also, try the methods a few times. I have experienced in the past where a certain method wouldnt work and just before I was giving up it worked...

Thanks Skybooks. Though I tried it several times but, as per your suggestion, I will try it again.

#9 bruce

• 1 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

Hey guys just wondering if anyone can help me with a replacement remote for a estima 1990 cant get one from toyota they just said they can't help me with it and i can't seem to find a universal one any where not on the gold coast australia

#10 E5TMA

• 6483 posts
  • 143 Thanks

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

1. Start with the key out of the ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and
drivers door is unlocked.

2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds.
A. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.
B. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
C. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
C. Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition.
D. Close the drivers door.
E. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
F. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically
indicating successful entry into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.
B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons,
Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door
locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If
the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the remote was
not accepted.
C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.

7. Open drivers door.

Can confirm that this works on a Mk2 Estima with single button remote
One thing to note .... i had disconnected the "keys in the ignition chime" but this MUST be working
or the ECU won`t know the key has been put into the ignition.....
etb_leven_00.gifetb_mic_00.gifetb_ian_00.gifetb_joey_00.gifetb_norum_00.gif

#11 Oberon

• 514 posts
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:52 PM

mind readers you lot! a few days back the screw came out of my 2 button key. i carried on using it... bad mistake i snapped the key away from the shell of the zapper. guy in the key cutting shop didnt have a clue, its just lucky i keep good company :) does anyone have a 2 button estima key or even better 2, that i can buy, to reprogram for my bus its (i think) a mk1 estima 3c-te 1996? ta :)
Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

#12 E5TMA

• 6483 posts
  • 143 Thanks

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:03 PM

mind readers you lot!

a few days back the screw came out of my 2 button key. i carried on using it... bad mistake i snapped the key away from the shell of the zapper.

guy in the key cutting shop didnt have a clue, its just lucky i keep good company :)

does anyone have a 2 button estima key or even better 2, that i can buy, to reprogram for my bus its (i think) a mk1 estima 3c-te 1996?

ta :)

Can`t you just replace the outer shell of the key
if it`s similar to this.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3cb8b53b40

Also keep an eye on e-bay for keys,got mine for £10 plus a fiver odd for a replacement shell

Edited by E5TMA, 22 June 2011 - 07:04 PM.

#13 Oberon

• 514 posts
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

not the same, but similar, ill have to have a look, it will be nice to have my zapper back as it was. the missus can have one too now i know how to program them :) thanks :)
Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

#14 BigBoldBri

• 621 posts
  • 1 Thanks

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

not the same, but similar, ill have to have a look, it will be nice to have my zapper back as it was. the missus can have one too now i know how to program them :)

Make sure you check with the seller the length and the width of the key blade and it matches your Estima. I made the mistake of ordering a keyfob that looked right but was in fact intended for a Corolla, the buttons fitted in the case but the blade was too long and wide to fit into the key lock of my Estima,

BBB
www.BestLocalBusinessOnline.com

Posted Image

Today is different and tomorrow's the same.

#15 markpth

• 2 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

Hi there Gentlemen, My 2000 Estima will not go into the first reprogram mode, since having the car the key-less locks have only worked once and i think that was by accident. i perform all the steps as listed on the first quote and my Estima doesn't automatically lock and then unlock the doors. The door lock button on the drivers door operates all locks but the key-less doesn't, i would like to ask is there some steps to check to help problem solve this?????? I.E. fuses, relays etc.... Thank you advance Mark.

#16 E5TMA

• 6483 posts
  • 143 Thanks

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

Is the "key in ignition" chime working Mark...? Took me a few goes to get it to work then realised I'd disconnected the "chime" when I 1st got the bus..... Without this connected the ECU won't know you are putting the key in the ignition ..... Just a thought....

#17 markpth

• 2 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

E5TMA, Yes i get the chime with the key in and the door open, i am trying the disconnect the battery for 10minute to see if the reset's the ECU. No that didn't work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,any idea's appreciated All Sorted and working, found a loose wire below the fuse panel by the footwell on the drivers side.

Edited by markpth, 01 December 2011 - 10:05 AM.

#18 DRFVDR

• 605 posts
  • 79 Thanks

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Can`t you just replace the outer shell of the key
if it`s similar to this.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3cb8b53b40

Also keep an eye on e-bay for keys,got mine for £10 plus a fiver odd for a replacement shell

quick question
our 2000 estima has a SINGLE button remote, does any one know if a two button one would work as well :)
cheers
Demo
-39.43331761870825/175.27315378189087

#19 Nosferatu

• 24 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

Reading your posts prompted me to ask whether I can obtain a spare key? To explain, I have a 2000 W Estima with the power sliding door option. The ignition key is just that, a solid blade type, and attached to this on a key ring is a square plastic "fob" with 3 buttons, lock, unlock, and the power door function. Is it possible to obtain something simiar to UK spec previas, where the key and buttons are all part of the same fob? Many thanks, Nosferatu

#20 DRFVDR

• 605 posts
  • 79 Thanks

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Reading your posts prompted me to ask whether I can obtain a spare key?
To explain, I have a 2000 W Estima with the power sliding door option.
The ignition key is just that, a solid blade type, and attached to this on a key ring is a square plastic
"fob" with 3 buttons, lock, unlock, and the power door function.
Is it possible to obtain something simiar to UK spec previas, where the key and buttons are all part of the same fob?

Many thanks,
Nosferatu

yup part number 8907028160 Transmitter assembly,door control,with(auto slide door)
NZD 282.52
cheers
Demo
-39.43331761870825/175.27315378189087