- - - - -

thermostat location

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kevinhowse1966

• 19 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:25 PM

had problem with my 95 estima enima today i think the thermostat has failed and needs replacing could someone tell me where its located on my bus thank you

#2 E5TMA

• 6476 posts
  • 142 Thanks
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

Hi

if you lift the engine covers under the seat you`ll see a large grey (cast looking) pipe sat on top of the engine...........

the thermostat is under there............(recommend a genuine Toyota thermostat roughly £12)

Posted Image
etb_leven_00.gifetb_mic_00.gifetb_ian_00.gifetb_joey_00.gifetb_norum_00.gif

#3 Blobby

• 1034 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:23 PM

You will need to take the drivers seat off and remove the engine cover to gain access to it properly. I tried to do it with the seat in. Took so many bits off to gain access to no avail. I could have taken the seat and cover off in half the time :welcome:

#4 lisboa

• 855 posts
  • 0 Thanks
  • Locationstratford london

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

done mine with all in place easy .and please get a gen toyota stat and and gasket as you wont be wrong .as copys can fail and are diffrent
:emot-cheering:

#5 kevinhowse1966

• 19 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

thanks all for that the problem i had this afternoon was my temp guage suddenly shot up i pulled over and turned engine off before it hit the red had lots of steam and water from the front of car it looked like it was coming from the header tank pipe too much steam to see straight away the water dosnt seem to have come from anywhere else i check around the engine its self and it was not covered in water .the recovery company picked us up(by the way if you have all 8 people in your car no recovery company can take you all home they only have room for 6)and after 3 hours without touching the car i filled the water up and started the car with no problems i let the temp go up to 1/4 of the way before turning off .there was no smoke etc but i did notice the rubber on rad cap is shot would this have caused the engine to dump the water i have just ordered replacement rad cap and thermostat

#6 E5TMA

• 6476 posts
  • 142 Thanks
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

thanks all for that the problem i had this afternoon was my temp guage suddenly shot up i pulled over and turned engine off before it hit the red
had lots of steam and water from the front of car it looked like it was coming from the header tank pipe too much steam to see straight away

the water dosnt seem to have come from anywhere else i check around the engine its self and it was not covered in water .the recovery
company picked us up(by the way if you have all 8 people in your car no recovery company can take you all home they only have room for 6)and after 3 hours without touching the car i filled the water up and started the car with no problems i let the temp go up to 1/4 of the way before turning off .there was no smoke etc but i did notice the rubber on rad cap is shot would this have caused the engine to dump the water

i have just ordered replacement rad cap and thermostat

Which recovery service are you with......

one of the reasons i switched to the R.A.C. was the fact that they wouth recover the car/trailer + driver & 7 passengers......:w00t2:
etb_leven_00.gifetb_mic_00.gifetb_ian_00.gifetb_joey_00.gifetb_norum_00.gif

#7 Guest_SAVA9E_*

• Thanks

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:58 PM

Tis why im with the RAC also.

#8 kevinhowse1966

• 19 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:21 AM

rac didnt have recovery lorry big enough in our area to recover my car and trailer the driver of the recovery truck told me this as he saw there was 7 of us waiting to be collected

#9 buffallobob

• 6130 posts
  • 75 Thanks
  • LocationThurrock essex

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:18 AM

thanks all for that the problem i had this afternoon was my temp guage suddenly shot up i pulled over and turned engine off before it hit the red had lots of steam and water from the front of car it looked like it was coming from the header tank pipe too much steam to see straight away the water dosnt seem to have come from anywhere else i check around the engine its self and it was not covered in water .the recovery company picked us up(by the way if you have all 8 people in your car no recovery company can take you all home they only have room for 6)and after 3 hours without touching the car i filled the water up and started the car with no problems i let the temp go up to 1/4 of the way before turning off .there was no smoke etc but i did notice the rubber on rad cap is shot would this have caused the engine to dump the water i have just ordered replacement rad cap and thermostat

Rac did recover me once with 8 people it was recovery truck for 5 and 3 in a taxi if they take your money and you have declared an 8 seater this is what they have to doyes the cap seal is crucialbob

#10 lisboa

• 855 posts
  • 0 Thanks
  • Locationstratford london

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:28 AM

rad cap yes this will not hold the pressure .also may be worth the money to fit a new rad as most have done .as the old ones block big time .as well as a new stat as well as i said before get gen toyota stat and sealing ring from toyota and cap. the rad you can get of selles on ebay .do not go for copy stats as there is a big diffrence in theses and can fail .
:emot-cheering:

#11 streetka55

• 2 posts
  • 0 Thanks
  • LocationSwindon

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Having got my Estima Emina 2.2td I need to change the thermostat as the Heaters don't put out any heat.. Additionally the temp needle remains idle and does not move at all.

I reasonably mechanically minded but being a newbie, I have questions.

Am I right in assuming that the thermostat housing is on the drivers side of the engine, accessible if I remove the drivers seat?

I can tilt my drivers seat backwards. Is that sufficient to access it? Can anyone walk me through the procedure?

Additionally, as the temp needle doesn't work, I suspect the wiring has become damaged or detached.  I want to order a new temp sender sensor anyway and replace as I have everything out. Where can I buy the sensor for quick delivery or is it something a Toyota parts dept will stock?

Thank you

#12 mplewis369@hotmail.co.uk

• 35 posts
  • 0 Thanks
  • LocationDevon

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

I had a similar problem on my first Estima - turned-out to be a partially-blocked radiator. New rad, flush and refill later and Bob's Your Auntie (not BuffaloBob of course, that would be weird)

#13 dave52

• 478 posts
  • 28 Thanks
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Are you sure the heater isnt working - climate control is standard on these and the current warm weather means that there is no actual need for the heater to work, although if you have the temp control on max you may well get some heat, depending on the inside temperature. Heater failure proper is either due to airlock in the heater matrix or a disconnected heater valve cable, if the thermostat fails the heater will still work when required, although will take longer to warm up. I would sort out the temp gauge first because if the running temp remains constant the stat is probably OK - the sensor lives near the oil filter, there is a green wire from it which can in my experience free itself from the sensor, easy enough to refit with a small self tapping screw if its come undone. Toyota will probably have to order a sensor if you need one, if it turns out you need a thermostat too then genuine Toyota part is recommended rather then pattern as the latter don't always last long. There is enough room to change the stat if both access hatches are open. Dave

Thanked by 1 Member:
streetka55  

#14 gazz

• 117 posts
  • 11 Thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

If your sure it the thermostat drain the coolant into a bucket (might have to use a jug and open and close the rad tap) then you can reuse (it if it's clean) then take the thermostat out, get a stick an some string tie the string to the stick and thermostat pop the thermostat in a jug, boil the kettle pour the water into the jug the thermostat should open if it does take it out (hence the stick) and run it under the cold tap it should close. if neither happens it's not working properly.

Thanked by 1 Member:
streetka55