3CTE engine rebuild

ClintJ

Club Member
Well thanks to a great friend made on the .org site I have managed to get all of the spare parts necessary to get build my economical/miser and also performance durable engine.
I have machined down the standard auto flywheel from 8Kg to 4.4Kg from memory. I have had it balanced to a spare crank.
You would of seen my head work being done on my head mod thread but I will cover the whole engine assembly and work in this thread.
Today I dropped the head back to the Head guy for him to seat the valves to correct clearances and assemble the head.
So today when I picked up the head at the ceramic guy I had a chat about the coatings. I thought that the dull gray finish was the finish. this is only a left over film to show that parts have been coated. I was worried because some of my pistons looked liked they were scratched on the combustion face.. The guy showed me some of there demo coatings and said that they had just scotchbrited the dry finish off.
He said that in my case of the diesel engine that The coating should last forever. I dont think he knew how hot the combustion temps might get...
Anyway here are the pistons

ClintJ

Club Member
Well I still havent found that spare set of rods I had left out for this engine rebuild..So yesterday and today was spent clearing the garage to make space for the van and the engine stripdown to take place.I have it to the point that the engine is on the floor with only the sump and bottom alloy case plus oil filter and pickup that needs to come off. the crank rods pistons water pump head oil pump and rear seal that have already come off.The bearings in the big ends looked to be fine. the mains as well. The only thing that I found was a crack in the second ring land of number 3 piston. 3 and 4 pistons had residue coolant on them. The bores are slightly water marked. Ths was from the previous cracked head....this has worked out well. This blocks bores have smaller holes than my other block.No.1 bore is marked for mk1 pistonNo.2 3 & 4 are marked for Mk2 pistons.My ceramics pistons are all Mk2 pistons with an extra thick coating on the skirts.I will seperate these rods and take the rods pistons and parts to my head guy who also does performance work( with a name like Racetek, Im guessing that he would ) to chemical dip the block and hone it so that the new pistons are a snug fit. He will also balance the rods and pistons to the crank.I dont know if I will assemble it just yet as I have plenty of other things that I want to tend to.Like my new mission of getting rid of the sads shaft all together. Ive seen some 200amp plus alternators from the USA that I have plans to mount to the side of the engine. I might mount the std alternator there as well to run a 36V permanent magnet motor to run the power steering and aircon pump.I started the engine without the sads shaft connected and damn its smooth.I hate that shaft........ Ive replaced the doughnuts once already and there already split and playing up....Will have some more pics soon.Clint

ClintJ

Club Member
Guess what! I found those rods the other day when I was looking for something else!! but it was already too late....Id already raised the van up, dropped the motor and box out and completely dissasembled and off for balancing and machining.... Another update was that I had my stall convertor massaged. When held the brakes on and flattened the pedal to floor with it in drive my stall was around 2800rpm.I talked to the guys at Kayver engineering (sydney australia) and they pulled it appart to check it there and then. there was no obviuos signs of wear so they said that they could change the angle of the turbine blades so that it would reduce the slip.I picked up 2 days later already done. the said that it should drop about 500rpm meaning the stally should peak around 2300rpm which is great as it seemed to not be doing anything there before.. Apply a little bit of pedal and get a marginal increase in speed ( I mean 1 or 2Km/hr increase when climbing a slight grade)Anyhow the work has cost me $275AUD for the stall convertor repair/mod. the replaced a couple of worn plates and shim that float the stator.I dropped my block, crank rods pistons and spare head of to the head guy for the machine work to be done. My spare was taken there for them to get te seated depth of the valves so that there are no clearance issues with pistons and valves.Hopefully I should see the engine back next week. I can then reassemble it and bolt it back in place.As for my SADS removal(bye bye) I have a 36V dc permanent magnet motor rated at 3/4hp. This should be ample to run the power steering pump and aircon. I will connect 2 alternators to the engine. One to run the 2 pumps and one for the cars ancilleries. The alternator only needs slight mods to change its output...Will post more thorough stuff as I get through it...Clint

ClintJ

Club Member
I thought that Id damaged the bearings in the bottom end and thats why I was getting noise from there.. When I dropped of my harmonic balancer to the head guy so that the whole assembly could be balanced I also picked up my head to bring back home.. The old one..The head guy pointed out something that I hadnt noticed.. Number 3 cylinders cam lobe was worn out and the shim and bucket were hollowed out. There was excessive clearance meaning the valve was operating at way reduced lift.. How much??? From what I could see there looked to be about 6~7mm worn out of the bucket, not to forget the 3 or so milimeters worn off the tip of the lobe...Id managed to get 7.98lt/100km or 35.4mpgNew engine, new torque convertor, no SADS drive shaft... Hello 40+MPG...or look out toyota prius! Will post pics on to this later of the damaged bucket and lobes. Batteries were flat on the camera.

ClintJ

Club Member
Well I went to pick up my engine today from my engine builder at racetech.He told me last night that 3 pistons had a deck height 26.5thou of an inch over the deck and 1 was 13thou less....Of course I done my thinking on the drive out there to get the motor and thought " hey you used the rods from the hydraulocked motor, the rod my be bent"So we pulled the rod in question out and checked against another rod and sure enough there was 13thou difference.The rod had a different casting number as well so its either slightly bent or different???? So I will take my other set back to him and balance them and put them back in........So hopefully by the end of this week.But you cant not love a new built engine for looks, everything is clean and looks brilliant!

ClintJ

Club Member
Slowly been putting her back together with all the other bits and pieces that have been going on...
So far it reads like this
Ceramic coated piston crowns
Teflon coated piston skirts
New sleeves machined and pressed into the block
Completely balanced bottom end
Lightened Flywheel
Ceramic coated Head ie.
inlet and exhaust ports and valves
Ceramic coated combustion chambers
Ceramic coated combustion face
Lightly deburred and ported head
New rings and bearings on VGC second hand pistons.( Thanks Mohammad ):winks:

My engine on the floor before the jackup into the engine bay.

3CTE engine minus water pump and cambelt etc etc

Delphi water trap and fuel filter with holley red electric fuel pump.. No More priming!:welcome:

My Skyline turbo on my own self made custom stainless manifold

I know I have mentioned my mate from ****stan before but I must thank him again for offering me his time and help in sourcing most of the parts needed in this buildup.
Again many thanks to Mohammad.

ClintJ

ClintJ

Club Member
Well all I can say is that I have been very slack or lacking in the motervation departments. I will be packing my toys away for 6months whilst I go live in Japan and look for work and try something new.The move could be permenant depending on the work and level of happiness or is that depression from missing my toys??:w00t2:Might get the chance to do a little bit more to the van before sunday night as I fly out on Monday again to my wifes suprise as she thinks Im coming a week later.Wish I could of got all of the projects finished and found out the new found promises that I hope these packages should bring but unfortunately they are going to have sit and wait...In that time I am sure that my motervation will make a massive comeback.It just depends on wether I come back next year for good or to pack up and move over to Japan indefinately... Will still be looking fwd to questions and other peoples triumphs in thier endeavours. ClintJ

try and keep in touch clint from japan.

Oh blimey Clint, it's like reading a whodunit only to find the last chapter missing!

Good luck Clint, and stay in touch, hope the wife enjoys your surprise, send some pics of your self, and as for leaving your engine behind i might just have to pop over with an empty crate and come back with a full one. All the best ....steve....:doh:

Good luck Clint, and stay in touch, hope the wife enjoys your surprise, send some pics of your self, and as for leaving your engine behind i might just have to pop over with an empty crate and come back with a full one. All the best ....steve....:w00t2:

The cat is out of the bag about the suprise as my missus drove me crazy trying to get somebody to rent the spare room whilst we were gone.
I told her like a million times that I didnt have the time and that with only a week left that it was too short to get to know the person enough to trust them.
SO I CRACKED and spat it out so that she would give me a break...

Your welcome to give the crate a try. I imagine that by the time you pay for your return airfare plus the freight on top of that, that it just might be cheaper for you to build one yourself maybe.
Id like to see it finished so that I confirm what I expect from the ceramic coatings and the hard work put into it.

Clint

HI Clint,
Its pleasing to see the progress on your engine. That teflon coating seems to be a good idea. A couple of questions:
1. How do they balance the bottom end? Is it with a balancing machine or something. Havent seen this before.
2. The garrett turbo u were installing, have u done that? Whats the result?
3. If you install the DN0PD704 nozzles (1KZ-TE) on the 3C-TE, what difference would it make?

HI Clint,
Its pleasing to see the progress on your engine. That teflon coating seems to be a good idea. A couple of questions:
1. How do they balance the bottom end? Is it with a balancing machine or something. Havent seen this before.

They balanced the crank with the flywheel and harmonic balancer as one piece. Then they individually made all the pistons with their gudgeon pins in place the same weight. They then balance the conrods by placing the the bigend bearing side of the rod in a hook to hang in the air with gudgeon pin end on the scales and made them all the same weight. Then then reversed them so that the gudgeon pin was in the hook and the bearing end on the scales and made them all the same weight..

2. The garrett turbo u were installing, have u done that? Whats the result?
I havent installed it as of yet. Im curently in japan and will be here until jan 09 and maybe longer depending on me finding work. Im in the process of applying for my visa. The turbo needs to be rebalanced and maybe some new seals. I emagine that the response would be better over the older turbo but with all of the ceramic coatings and the possible addition of gas latter on then lag shouldnt be an issue.

3. If you install the DN0PD704 nozzles (1KZ-TE) on the 3C-TE, what difference would it make?

I think from memory that the 1KZTE pump ran a similar injector pressure to the 3CTE pump. So the DN0PD704 nozzles would work with more fuel delivered as they come of a 3lt engine but dont forget that the 1KZTE pump has the 12mm plunger and the 3CTE a 10mm plunger so it might end up even... The problem I had with the hybrid 3CTE/1KZTE pump that I made was that the top of the plunger where it seats against the cam plate was a larger diameter than the 3CTE so I couldnt use the 3CTE cam plate. I used the 3CTE shaft as the timing marks were in a different spot to the 1KZTE, so I wanted to use the 3CTE camplate as well but couldnt unless I chased up something else to make it all work together..
At the moment economy is rating higher than performance but its still up there on the cards.. I will make my power from using LPG..

Ive responded in blue to your questions Mohammad.
I really did want to see the project finished before I flew off to Japan for 6months but time didnt permit with the problems that I had when putting this puzzle together....
Everything is packed up in the garage back home waiting for my return.

Clint

What about our 1/4 mile speed trials???? never mind hope all goes well and best of luck in Japan ......JJ

Ive got a release month... Im coming back to Australia in January...
I hope Remix will be back up and running..
I even had 5 months down time on the project...
:w00t2::w00t2::sofa::sofa::sofa::sofa::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2:

it's like reading a whodunit only to find the last chapter missing!
You can't beat a good cliffhanger to keep the readers in suspense.

Ive got a release month... Im coming back to Australia in January...

I'm looking forward to reading the "last chapter" which apparently will be released in January!
I wonder if it will be out in time for the January sales? http://www.estimaowners.com/community/public/style_emoticons//http://www.estimaowners.com/community/smile.gif

I'ts like waiting for Christmas to arrive ..... but without the financial worries!